“RUMNET is now widely known and respected within the northern regions of Ghana, due largely to the way it has consistently and reliably worked with others to produce high quality information on issues of concern to its stakeholders. RUMNET is perceived as a media organization with a difference – one that takes sides on issues of concern to poor and marginalized people in rural areas, while also maintaining the sense of neutrality so vital in an area experiencing conflict. RUMNET’s professionalism has helped it to progress as an organization over the last three years to the point where it is poised to move into a new scale of operation involving new possibilities and challenges.”–Celia Dogbe, Consultant, Participatory Development Associates, Ghana.
WHO WE ARE
The Rural Media Network (RUMNET) is a non-profit, development communication organisation based in Tamale, in the Northern Region of Ghana. It was founded in 1996 to respond to the desire of communities for information, knowledge and skills to transform their lives and advocate against the injustice, marginalisation, discrimination, and exploitation inherent in mainstream development.
Since 1996, RUMNET has occupied a unique position in Northern Ghana as the only media and development communication NGO in the area. RUMNET’s uniqueness, its extensive experience in the media industry, its proven track record, propels it to the vanguard of the development communication crusade in Northern Ghana.
A well-informed society where democracy is stronger, services are more efficient, corruption is exposed, the poorest are better served and good governance is recognized and respected.
We believe in:
- Service: to mankind
- Freedom: of expression, information and of choice; from want, violence and fear
- Honesty: in all our relationships and work
- Equity: in engaging our beneficiaries- regardless of gender or social status
- Inclusion: in our programming and service delivery
HOW WE WORK
We work with marginalized groups in Northern Ghana to claim their rights to good governance, social and economic resources, opportunities and services through inclusive development and participatory development communication. We deliver this mission by:
- Increasing information flow and education on issues of concern to marginalized groups.
- Enhancing the rights and access of the marginalized to resources, opportunities and life skills.
- Strengthening the capacity of the marginalized to analyze their circumstances, make their own decisions and determine appropriate actions to improve their lives.
ISSUES WE ADDRESS
- Women’s Empowerment and Human Rights
- Good Governance
- Youth Development
- Agriculture and Food Security
- Peace and Human Security
- Water and Sanitation.
HOW WE ADDRESS THE ISSUES
We combine innovative media solutions and community mobilization techniques to make the desired programmatic impact. The main approaches are:
- Media Advocacy
- Participatory Development Communication
- Behaviour Change Communication
- Communication for Social Change
- Media Training
- Capacity Development and Training
- Radio programming and production, Video Advocacy, Participatory Video; Publications